The engine is the heart of your vehicle. When it is running, the combustion engine produces heat. An engine that overheats can potentially cause damage to your vehicle and threaten your safety. Learn more about the causes of overheating and how to prevent your car from overheating.
What Can Cause an Engine to Overheat?
Here are some common causes of overheating:
- Engine coolant levels – Too high or too low levels of coolant is a common cause for overheating. Make sure to address this problem immediately to avoid bigger problems.
- Hose leaks – Due to wear and tear that might occur over time, the hose could develop cracks that cause the coolant to leak, causing overheating.
How Do You Stop Your Car from Overheating?
A couple of simple tips can help prevent your vehicle from overheating:
- Parking your vehicle in the shade – Parking your vehicle in the shade is the simplest way of protecting your car against the sun.
- Use window shades – Always ensure that you have shades in case you are parking your vehicle in an unshaded area. A window shade can help in controlling the temperature inside the car.
- Tint windows – Tinted windows can help in reducing the temperature inside the car and with protection against damage caused by UV rays.
- Use the fresh air setting – Adjust the settings of the air conditioner from recirculation to fresh air to prevent the recycling of hot air in the car.
- Turn on the vents– Turn on the floor vents to direct the hot air outside the car for a couple of minutes before turning on the dashboard vents.
What Can You Do If a Car Is Running Hot?
If the engine of your car is overheated, contact a professional immediately. Follow these steps to ensure your vehicle is safe until you get the required help:
- Move the car to a safe location and turn off the engine completely.
- Check the level of the coolant in the radiator and add additional coolant to the radiator if required.
- Ensure that the upper, lower, or any of the hoses have not been damaged.
- Restart the engine and monitor the temperature. Turn off the engine if it exceeds the normal range.
A-Z Tech Automotive, a complete automotive repair services company that offers convenient and high quality personalized automotive repair and service in Orange County. Long and the team are committed to safety first and are known for their outstanding workmanship, friendly and experienced staff, on-time delivery and excellent customer service, including a comprehensive solution for collision repair.